CNN – Defense officials will brief President Donald Trump’s national security team on a plan that involves sending 5,000 more troops to the Middle East to deter Iran, Task & Purpose has learned.
So far, no decisions have been made about whether to send the reinforcements to the region, unnamed U.S. officials told CNN’s Barbara Starr.
“The military capabilities being discussed include sending additional ballistic missile defense systems, Tomahawk cruise missiles on submarines, and surface ships with land attack capabilities for striking at a long range,” CNN reports. “Specific weapons systems and units have not been identified.”
Reuters reporters Idrees Ali and Phil Stewart were first to report the number of troops that U.S. Central Command has requested be sent to the Middle East. Associated Press reporter Lolita Baldor later reported the Pentagon will present the White House with a plan to send 10,000 additional troops to the region.
The U.S. military greeted Tuesday’s media reports with a wall of official silence.
“As a matter of long-standing policy, we are not going to discuss or speculate on potential future plans and requests for forces,” said Pentagon spokeswoman Navy Cmdr. Rebecca Rebarich.