Worker who sent Hawaii missile false alarm believed threat was real

January 31, 2018

NBC News:

The emergency management worker who sent a false missile alert that led to a terrifying 38 minutes for Hawaii earlier this month said the worker believed the threat was real, according to a preliminary federal investigation.

“A combination of human error and inadequate safeguards contributed to this false alert,” the Federal Communications Commission said in remarks on the preliminary report released Tuesday.

The FCC report laid out a detailed timeline of the miscommunication that led to the transmission of the ballistic missile alert on Jan. 13, which sent some scrambling to seek shelter amid an increased threat from North Korea.

Later Tuesday, officials releasing results of the state’s internal investigation announced that the head of Hawaii’s Emergency Management Agency, Vern Miyagi, had “taken full responsibility” for the incident and resigned Tuesday morning…

Read full post.

International Cooperation