Coming DOD missile defense assessment drops focus on ‘ballistic’ from titleFebruary 9, 2018
The Defense Department is dropping the “ballistic” from the Ballistic Missile Defense Review President Trump asked for last year, a change that reflects the assessment — set to be released soon — aims to provide a new policy, strategy and architecture blueprint accounting for a wider array of threats than one released in 2010.
The formal name of the review — commissioned as a “new Ballistic Missile Defense Review” by Trump in a Jan. 27, 2017 memo to Defense Secretary Jim Mattis — was modified in the last couple of months, said Pentagon spokesman Tom Crosson.
“We face a new security environment which prominently features an expanding set of offensive missile threats — ballistic, maneuvering ballistic, advanced long-range cruise missiles, and hypersonics,” Crosson told Inside Defense Feb. 8. “To address this new reality we have broadened our approach to address the wider set of threats — hence the Missile Defense Review.”